Mating Ring Solution: Hydraulic Pump
An aerospace OEM historically purchased an inexpensive mating ring to pair with a precision carbon face seal in a hydraulic pump. The supplier was capable of achieving flatness to 6 HLB. The buyer was satisfied because the mating ring met the design requirements at a low cost.
- After receiving the mating rings, the OEM inspected 100% of them using a laser interferometer to ensure sufficient flatness.
- 80% of the mating rings needed to be re-lapped and re-inspected before they could be used even though they were built to spec.
- The total cost of the final product was significantly greater than the amount on the purchase order
Technetics Qualiseal Technologies Solution
- Technetics Qualiseal Technologies manufactured mating rings to a standard above the customer’s design requirements, achieving flatness to 3 HLB or better.
- Inspected utilizing QT’s laser interferometer and delivered ready-to-use products to the customer.
- The customer recognized savings in the “total cost” of the product and also reduced the required inspection staff by two.